Sunday, May 27, 2012

Day 4: Extra Nail Growth and Slide Smear Practice


Today was a pretty slow day in comparison to all of the previous days.  Besides some cage cleaning, nail/claw clippings, ear cleanings, and a couple euthanasias, not too much else happened.  Two more Chihuahuas from the same family as Oreo and Salsa had also eaten castor beans later on in the day yesterday (their names are Ninja and Cherry), so the owners brought them in this early morning to get treated. Also in the morning, there was a boxer-mix who had something that looked like extra nails growing in between his toes.  Dr. Amanda said that they weren’t actually nails, but she wasn’t exactly sure what they were so they are being sent out for testing.  It was a quick procedure, she gave the dog a bit of anesthesia so that he couldn’t feel them being removed, and then made quick little incisions around the nail-like growths and was easily able to pull them out (there were three of them, two on the front left paw and one on the front right paw). Dr. Amanda stitched the little holes up, and then we moved him to the recovery room so he could rest a bit before going home.
             Dr. Amanda removing the nail-like substances between the dog's toes.

                Even though that procedure was a short and really simple procedure, it was the only major surgery we had today.  There were no emergencies, and no other scheduled surgeries.  After watching Dr. Amanda remove the nail-like substances, I assisted Pat with inserting a catheter into a German shorthaired pointer for a euthanasia.  The poor guy was unable to walk and had problems with his nerves, so the family decided it was time to put him out of his misery.  Once he was gone, Pat and I carried him into the back area and placed him on a gurney, where I trimmed his nails so I could practice my clipping skills some more.  After I finished, she showed me how to properly bag him, and then how to properly fill out his tag so they would know who he was, who he belonged to, and what the owners wanted done with him (i.e. a burial, a group cremation, an individual cremation, if they wanted an urn, etc.).  I moved him to the freezer in the back once I was finished with everything, where he stayed until he was either picked up by All Paws (the cremation and remembrance company), or by the family (if they wanted to bury their pet).

                For the rest of the day I assisted in cleanings and anything that the Veterinarians or vet technicians needed me to do (i.e. holding an animal, inserting sub-q fluids, etc.).  During the times throughout the day when we didn’t have any appointments, I practiced staining slides for blood analysis.  Lauren showed me how to make a good slide; she said first to place a small drop of blood on the end of the slide, right before the label.  She then said to take another slide, place it on the drop, hold it at a 45-degree angle (the drop will then spread out on the bottom of this slide), and quickly move it across the first slide, lifting up once you start reaching the end.  The point is to get a nice feathered look where slide 2 was lifted off of slide 1, because that is where all the platelets will be and that’s where they will be able to see if the animal’s blood has enough platelet, antibodies, and red blood cell counts.  It takes a really long time to get good slides consistently; Lauren said it took her more than a year and a half to start getting them consistent.   So, I practiced staining a lot of slides throughout the day.  I had a lot of flat lines (rather than the feathered look) at first, but I began to get a little better and I practiced more.  I used up a box and a half of slides and then decided to stop for the day.  I ended up having a couple of okay slides, and then one slide that Lauren said would have been perfect, which made me happy.  I of course still have to do a lot more practice so I can start getting good slides consistently, but having a good slide during my first practice definitely boosted my confidence in my abilities a bit.
Lauren's example slide for me. The desired feathered end can be seen clearly against the black coloring.
My good slide.  It isn't as clear of a picture, but I have that feathered part at the bottom of the smear, which Lauren said made this a good slide.
                                                        My huge pile of practice smears.

No comments:

Post a Comment